The Daily Brief: Wednesday, May 24, 20171. Pope Francis, Donald Trump to Seek Common Ground at Vatican - Wall Street Journal
When President Donald Trump visits Pope Francis on Wednesday, at the halfway point of a trip the White House has cast as a pilgrimage of peace, the two leaders will have a chance to reset an acrimonious public relationship.
Yet the two men, famously divided on the pope's signature issues of migration and climate change, could struggle to find significant areas of agreement. As of last week, representatives of the White House and the Vatican working on the agenda for the meeting had found few common policy priorities, according to someone familiar with the preparations. (Read more)
- Father, we pray You would use all the meetings during this trip to shift opinion about President Trump. We pray he will develop willing partners to resolve ongoing global problems, such as terrorism and migration.
- "Now let the nations and their rulers tremble before the Lord, before his glory." (Psalm 102:15)
2. Manchester terror attack suspect identified as Salman Abedi - Fox News
British authorities on Tuesday identified the suicide bomber who launched a deadly attack at a Manchester Ariana Grande concert, hours after the Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the blast. Salman Abedi, 22, was identified as the man who detonated an improvised explosive device at about 10:30 p.m. local time Monday, killing more than 20 people, some of them children, and injuring dozens more, Manchester police confirmed in a news conference on Tuesday. At least 12 children under the age of 16 were injured, emergency responders said. An 8-year-old girl was among the dead.
- Father, we pray for healing for the injured and comfort for the families of these precious ones. Lord, we ask that You would do a work in our entertainment industry - that they would "wake up" to the devastation of Islam and stop protecting and promoting the ideology that leaves people dead and injured.
- "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one." (John 17:15)
3. Here's What's in Trump's 'Taxpayers First' Federal Budget - The Daily Signal
The Trump administration will respect taxpayers, balance the budget, return the country to 3 percent economic growth, and push a parental leave requirement in its fiscal plan to be released Tuesday, said Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.
Mulvaney called it a "taxpayers first budget." "This budget was written through the eyes of the people paying for the budget, not through the eyes of who is getting paid," Mulvaney told reporters Monday during an off-camera briefing at the White House.
Mulavney elaborated that budget writers went line-by-line through the budget to see what programs had a success rate and what programs didn't. (Read more)
- Father, we pray this budget perspective, from the taxpayer's point of view, will be respected throughout the appropriation process. We pray the reforms of this budget will be implemented as soon as possible.
- "They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. They share freely and give generously to those in need. Their good deeds will be remembered forever. They will have influence and honor." (Psalm 112:8-9)
4. DeVos Calls for 'Transformation' of America's 'Closed and Antiquated Education System' - CNS News
After 30 years of federal education "reform," too many students are still "falling through the cracks," Education Secretary Betsy DeVos told a policy summit in Indiana on Monday.
"The time has expired for 'reform,'" DeVos said. "We need a transformation - a transformation that will open up America's closed and antiquated education system." DeVos advocates school choice: "We must offer the widest number of quality options to every family and every child," she said. (Read more)
- Father, we pray the shackles of control will fall off our children and each one will fulfull their God-given potential and purpose. We pray Your blessing upon the modernization of our education system.
- "I will teach all your children, and they will enjoy great peace." (Isaiah 54:13)
5. Brennan: 'I Don't Know' If There Was Collusion - Daily Caller
Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) grilled ex-CIA Chief John Brennan on evidence of US-Russia collusion, forcing Brennan to admit he doesn't actually know if there was any collusion.
Brennan is testifying in front of the House Intelligence Committee Tuesday about connections between the US and Russia.
Gowdy asked Brennan if he had seen any evidence of collusion, coordination, or conspiracy between Donald Trump and Russian actors.
Brennan responded that he had seen information about contacts between Russian and US actors that led him to believe the matter should be investigated further by the FBI, but declined to say whether or not he saw direct links between Trump and Russia. (Read more)
- Father, we pray You would bring to light anything that needs to be exposed and bring these time-consuming, distracting hearings to an end.
- "When one of them comes to see me, he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander; then he goes out and spreads it around." (Psalm 41:6)
6. Democratic Aide Suspected Of Major Security Breach Under Government Protection In Pakistan - Daily Caller
A criminal suspect in an investigation into a major security breach on the House of Representatives computer network has abruptly left the country and gone to Pakistan, where her family has significant assets and VIP-level protection, a relative and others told The Daily Caller News Foundation's Investigative Group.
Hina Alvi, her husband Imran Awan, and his brothers Abid and Jamal were highly paid shared IT administrators working for multiple House Democrats until their access to congressional IT systems was terminated Feb. 2 as a result of the investigation. Capitol Police confirmed the investigation is ongoing, but no arrests have been reported in the case. (Read more)
- Father, we pray all the facts will come out regarding security being compromised by the Democrats in Congress. We pray all the computers and information of our elected officials and government employees will be secure for the benefit of our nation and national security.
- "But he who listens to me shall live securely and will be at ease from the dread of evil." (Proverbs 1:33)
7. Muslims invade U.S. 'in the name of Allah' - WND
Paul Nehlen: Americans collecting big cash from feds to help with 'migrant' influx
The man who unsuccessfully challenged House Speaker Paul Ryan in a Republican primary last year is now releasing a documentary highlighting what he sees as a threat to the United States through a coordinated Muslim migration strategy.
Paul Nehlen is host of "Hijrah: Radical Islam's Global Invasion." He is also the author of the forthcoming book, "Wage the Battle."
Nehlen told WND and Radio America hijrah can refer to multiple ideas, ranging from leaving sin behind to Muhammad's journey from Mecca to Medina. However, he said Islamic texts clearly speak about strategic migration. "Hijrah means 'migration in the name of Allah,'" said Nehlen, who explained that the ultimate goal is to populate non-Muslim nations to the extent needed to impose Shariah law. (Read more)
- Father, we know many, if not most, of the Muslims coming here desire to change our nation into one that submits to Islam - but Your plan is bigger. We pray all these people will hear of the salvation found in Jesus and surrender their lives to You.
- "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)
8. Bill Protecting Faith-Based Adoption Agencies in Texas on Way to Governor's Desk - The Daily Signal
The Texas Senate early Monday passed a bill to allow faith-based adoption and foster care providers to operate based on their religious beliefs.
By a final vote of 21-10, state senators agreed with their counterparts in the Texas House of Representatives that society should continue to make room for adoption and foster care services associated with a religious tradition, whether Christian or Muslim.
Only one Democrat joined the Senate's 20 Republicans in voting for the bill. The remaining 10 voted against it.
In an interview Monday with The Daily Signal, state Rep. James Frank, a Republican who co-wrote the legislation, predicted that Texas Gov. Greg Abbott would sign it. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for this legislation protecting the conscience rights of people in Texas. We pray this law will be upheld as Constitutional in the inevitable legal battle it faces in the future.
- "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)
9. BREAKING: Another Attack May Be "Imminent" - CNN
The UK raised its threat level to "critical" -- the top of its threat scale -- and British Prime Minister Theresa May warned that another attack "may be imminent" after the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester that killed 22. The raised threat level -- which hasn't been this high since 2007 -- means armed soldiers will be deployed to key sites around the country.
Police ID'd 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the suspected suicide bomber and made a few raids and at least four arrests. ISIS claimed responsibility for the atrocity but didn't offer any evidence.
The victims of the attack, many of them just children, were remembered at a vigil outside Manchester's city hall, where a defiant poet reminded residents that their city is more than just the site of a terror attack.
Grande, who tweeted that the attack had left her "broken," returned home to Florida after announcing she was postponing her current tour. (Read more)
- Father, we pray You foil any future attacks. Give insight into the plans of the enemy. We pray for Manchester, and for all of us who are susceptible to these acts of terror.
- "I shall also grant peace in the land so that you may lie down with no one making you tremble." (Leviticus 26:6)
10. Congress salutes Jerusalem Day - Israel National News
"It's such a special day, not only because we're able to enjoy the entire city, but because of the great miracle that occurred back then, when all forces of evil tried their best to destroy us," Oliner said. "Rabbi Goren prepared graves for those whom he expected to be mortally wounded."
"A miracle occurred between May 15 and June 6, we were able to destroy the entire air force of Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, and Syria. It was a great miracle. General Rabin came together with General Dayan. We were able to have Menachem Begin come together with Levi Eshkol.
"As a result of the unity that occurred then, fifty years later we celebrate together that great miracle, that extraordinary event that occurred.
"The more interesting thing is that today, we can only celebrate that event in one other capital in the world. On May 17th, we will be celebrating Yom Yerushalayim (Jerusalem Day) in Congress, for the first time.
"It's an extraordinary event, and it's extraordinarily important.
"It's the only place where we can come together and hear members of Congress speak about the reunification of Jerusalem.
"But the event takes on extreme importance because of the unity... The fact that it will be bipartisan. Every day we are adding another congressman. But in addition to being bipartisan...what's extremely important is that the entire Jewish community is coming together to celebrate at the same time. We're having 25 different Jewish organizations participate in the event.
"What's equally important is that we intend to pass a series of resolutions which demonstrate the importance of the freedom that has been achieved during this fifty-year period in Jerusalem, the fact that all religions can participate together and enjoy the celebration of that freedom.
"It is a reaffirmation of that freedom that we will be celebrating, that we are coming together in a unified fashion to celebrate and to give thanks for a great miracle." (Read more)
- Father, we are so grateful that our Congress has taken time yesterday to celebrate this amazing anniversary of the 50th year since Jerusalem was liberated and now stands as the capital city in Israel. We pray that, soon and in Your timing, our own embassy will, indeed, be moved to Jerusalem, honoring that great city, in Your name, amen.
- "I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." (Genesis 12:3)